A delicious and adaptable snack, fried dough can be prepared in various ways and is loved in many countries. You only need flour and water to make a batch of delicious fried dough right in your own home kitchen, and it only takes a few simple ingredients to get the job done. In this post, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of preparing delicious fried dough that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of water Oil
- Oil for frying (vegetable or canola oil works well)
- Optional toppings: powdered sugar, cinnamon-sugar, or chocolate sauce
Step 1: Prepare the Dough
- Mix the all-purpose flour and water in a bowl designated for mixing purposes.
- Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl until you get a soft dough that is only a little sticky. If the dough lacks moisture, add a few more drops of water, one teaspoon, until it reaches the appropriate consistency.
- After the dough has come together, place it on a surface lightly dusted with flour and knead it.
Step 2: Knead the Dough
- To prevent the dough from adhering to the surface, knead the surface and sprinkle some flour on it.
- When you first knead the dough, press it down with your hands and then fold it over on itself.
- Proceed to knead the dough for another five to seven minutes or until it is silky smooth, elastic, and no longer sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball, then cover it with a clean dish towel to prevent it from drying out. Let it sit for around 10-15 minutes.
Step 3: Heat the Oil
- Fill a big, heavy-bottomed pan or a deep fryer with enough oil to reach a depth of about 2 to 3 inches to the top.
- Oil should be heated over medium-high heat until it reaches around 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). You can check the temperature with a thermometer designed for use in the kitchen.
Step 4: Shape and Fry the Dough
- After the allotted amount of time has passed, take the dough and cut it up into more manageable parts. You can roll the dough into balls, twist it, or form it into any shape you like.
- Each piece should be rolled out into a thin disk with a thickness of about one-quarter of an inch. Make use of a rolling pin, and if necessary, dust the surface with flour.
- Depending on the size of your pan or fryer, carefully lower the dough pieces into the hot oil, either one at a time or two at a time. Take care not to make a mess in order to avoid splattering.
- Fry the dough for about two to three minutes on each side or until it has puffed up and turned a golden brown.
- Take the dough cooked out of the oil with a slotted spoon or tongs, and place it on a plate lined with paper towels so that any excess oil may drain out.
- Proceed with the remaining pieces of the dough in the same manner.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
- After the fried dough has been cooked, it can be served either hot or at room temperature.
- On top of the fried dough, you can add an extra dose of sweetness by sprinkling it with powdered sugar or cinnamon-flavored sugar.
- Pour some chocolate sauce on top for an extra indulgent touch if that’s what you’re going for.
- Dough that has been fried goes nicely with many different kinds of dipping sauces, including chocolate, caramel, and fruit preserves.
- Have fun eating your handmade fried dough, which is delicious and crunchy.
Using only flour and water, you can create a delectable dessert using a method that is not only straightforward but also incredibly gratifying. If you follow these directions step by step, you will be able to make a dough that is fried until it is golden brown and crispy right in the comfort of your own house. This delicious treat is so adaptable that it will satisfy your taste buds whether you eat it plain or with a variety of different toppings. Get your ingredients together, get the oil hot, and embark on a mouthwatering journey through the world of cooking with some handmade fried dough!
Learn more: How to Keep Fresh Flowers Alive Longer